When you’re living in an expensive city, saving money can be quite a challenge. Go through these 100 money saving quotes that you can bookmark and use for inspiration!
1. Starting with a classic: A penny saved is a penny earned.
2. “Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.” – Warren Buffet
3. “A simple fact that is hard to learn is that the time to save money is when you have some.” – Joe Moore
4. “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” – Will Rogers
“Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.” – Donald Trump
6. “The mint made it first, it’s up to you to make it last.” – Evan Esar
7. “By sowing frugality, we reap liberty, a golden harvest.” – Agesilaus
8. “Save a part of your income and begin now, for the man with a surplus controls circumstances and the man without a surplus is controlled by circumstances.” – Henry Buckley
9. “You must learn to save first and spend afterwards.” – John Poole
10. A cheeky Valentine’s Day money saving tip: “Break up on February 13th, get back together on the 15th.” – David Letterman
11. “He who does not economise will have to agonise.” – Confucius
12. Saving money is the best gift you can give to your future self.
13. “By definition, saving – for anything – requires us to not get things now so that we can get bigger ones later.” – Jean Chatzky
14. “People suddenly know how to use money when there is none left.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
15. “In the long run, it’s not just how much money you make that will determine your future prosperity. It’s how much of that money you put to work by saving it and investing it.” – Peter Lynch
“Save a dollar here, a dollar there. Over time, it adds up to two dollars.” – Jarod Kintz
17. “To save half, when you are fired by an eager impulse to contribute to a charity, wait and count to forty. To save three quarters, count sixty. To save all, count sixty-five.” – Mark Twain
18. “If saving money is wrong, I don’t want to be right!” – William Shatner
19. “Just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you should buy it.” – Suze Orman
20. Know your basics: Most of us know that we should save more and spend less, we just don’t do it.
21. “Being a smart shopper is the first step to getting rich.” – Mark Cuban
22. “It’s better to do nothing with your money than something you don’t understand.” – Suze Orman
23. “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t, pays it.” – Albert Einstein
24. “It is never too early to encourage long-term savings.” – Ron Lewis
25. “If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.” – Benjamin Franklin
26. “Personally, I tend to worry about what I save, not what I spend.” – Paul Clitheroe
27. When you have money, think of the time when you had none – Japanese Proverb
28. “All days are not same. Save for a rainy day. When you don’t work, savings will work for you.” – M.K. Soni
29. “The way to build your savings is by spending less each month.” – Suze Orman
30. One for your bathroom mirror: “Money in the bank is like toothpaste in the tube. Easy to take out, hard to put back.” – Earl Wilson
31. “Money can’t buy happiness, but neither can poverty.” – Leo Rosten
32. “Saving requires us to not get things now so that we can get bigger ones later.” – Jean Chatzky
33. The art is not in making money, but in keeping it.
34. “Look everywhere you can to cut a little bit from your expenses. It will all add up to a meaningful sum.” – Suze Orman
35. “The waste of money cures itself, for soon there is no more to waste.” – M.W. Harrison
“Money looks better in the bank than on your feet.” – Sophia Amoruso
37. “Money is something you have to make in case you don’t die.” – Max Asnas
38. “If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.” – Brigham Young
39. Life is a game. Money is how we keep score.
40. For when you understand the abstract in life: I got 99 problems and money could solve at least 73 of them.
41. “Balancing your money is the key to having enough.” – Elizabeth Warren
42. “Money is a guarantee that we may have what we want in the future. Though we need nothing at the moment it insures the possibility of satisfying a new desire when it arises.” – Aristotle
43. Save money and money will save you.
44. Saving a small amount soon builds up to a large amount. – Scottish Proverb
45. “Save money on the big, boring stuff so that you have something left over for life’s little pleasures.” – Elisabeth Leamy
“Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffet
47. “Stop buying things you don’t need, to impress people you don’t even like.” – Suze Orman
48. “A budget is telling your money where to go, instead of wondering where it went.” – John C. Maxwell
49. “It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
50. Something you realise when you are middle aged: “You can be young without money but you can’t be old without it.” – Tennessee Williams
51. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki
52. “The habit of saving is itself an education; it fosters every virtue, teaches self-denial, cultivates the sense of order, trains to forethought, and so broadens the mind.” – T.T. Munger
53. “Money is the sixth sense that makes it possible to enjoy the other five.” – Richard Ney
54. The art is not in making money, but in keeping it.
55. “The art of living easily as to money is to pitch your scale of living one degree below your means.” – Sir Henry Taylor
56. “Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
57. “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.” – Charles Dickens
58. “Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” – Dave Ramsey
59. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
60. A change of perspective is important: “It’s not your salary that makes you rich, it’s your spending habits.” – Charles A. Jaffe
61. “Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.” – Warren Buffett
62. A fool and his money are soon parted – English proverb
63. “Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticise, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.” – William A. Ward
64. “Save for a rainy day” – Aesop
65. Saving is a greater art than gaining – German proverb
“A penny here, and a dollar there, placed at interest, goes on accumulating, and in this way the desired result is attained.” – P.T. Barnum
67. He who saves, finds. – Spanish proverb
68. He who saves in little things, can be liberal in great ones. – German proverb
69. “Lots of people know how to make money, but are not gifted in the art of preserving it. Frequently the same risk that was involved in making you rich is the same risk that can make you poor again.” – Fred J. Young
70. This should be inspiration enough: “That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest.” – Henry David Thoreau
71. “A man who both spends and saves money is the happiest man, because he has both enjoyments.” – Samuel Johnson
72. “Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki
73. “Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.” – Benjamin Franklin
74. “Prosperity is the fruit of labour. It begins with saving.” – Abraham Lincoln
75. If you find yourself saying to yourself that you can’t afford to save money right now, you are lying to yourself.
Every little bit counts, so rather than looking for one big way to save a ton of money, save in lots of small ways and set yourself up for success.
77. “Thrift is of great revenue.” – Cicero
78. Money speaks only one language – if you save me today, I will save you tomorrow.
79. “Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.” – Ernest Haskins
80. One for your health: Being in control of your finances is a great stress reliever.
81. “Save one-third, live on one-third and give away one-third.” – Angelina Jolie
82. Pick a day for a ‘no spend zone’ – 24 hours where you don’t spend anything.
83. “No one’s ever achieved financial fitness by a January resolution that is abandoned by February.” – Suze Orman
84. Every time you spend money on things you have no business spending money on, you are only cheating yourself.
85. A man without money is like a bow without arrows. – Indian proverb
“I make myself rich by making my wants few.” – Henry David Thoreau
87. “It’s all about the money.” – Joseph Jackson
88. “Though small was your allowance you saved a little store and those who save a little shall get a plenty more.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
89. Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalise on what comes.
90. This one is for when you wish to retrospect: “Lack of money is the root of all evil.” – George Bernard Shaw
91. Keep going until your bank account looks like your phone number.
92. “The goal isn’t more money. The goal is living life on your own terms.” – Chris Brogan
93. “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” – Ayn Rand
94. “Never spend your money before you have it.” – Thomas Jefferson
Those who don’t manage their money will always work for those who do.
96. Money does not have healing properties, but it does make a nice salve.
97. If you can actually count your money, then you are not a rich man.
98. Money isn’t everything, but everything needs money.
99. “Never depend on a single income. Make investments to create a second source.” – Warren Buffet
100. Finally: Be humble. Period