With robots taking over our jobs at a shocking pace, we need to pull up our socks and try all ways possible to become more valuable to our companies. Just doing the basics won’t do the job anymore. This is only one of the reasons you must explore an online course that will enhance your knowledge in the field you specialise in or give you an opportunity to shift to the field you love. The other reasons? These courses are interesting, convenient, and advantageous. Take a look:
1. Course Name: Computer Science 101
Where: Stanford University
Description: This self-paced course promises to teach you the basics of computer science and so, you are not required to know anything apart from browsing the web.
Who can take it: Those interested in entering the computer science field or switching their career to include computer science.
2. Course Name: Becoming a Better Manager
Where: Harvard Business School
Cost: US$1,500 (around S$2,000)
Description: Throughout this course duration, real-world challenges will be thrown at you, and you will be taught to identify, analyse, design, and influence critical organisational processes to achieve results. You will also learn decision-making and change management.
Who can take it: If you are a manager working towards creating a successful team and contributing your bit for the company, this course is perfect for you.
Unpaid course options: Digital Leadership: Creating Value Through Technology, University of Reading
3. Course Name: Academic and Business Writing
Where: University of California, Berkeley
Cost: Free; add a verified certificate for US$49.
Description: This introductory academic and business writing course focuses on grammar, vocabulary, structure, editing, and publication. The course will give you a chance to write on various topics and ideas, while focusing on those which interest you the most. The course materials will be offered through readings and videos.
Who can take it: If you have an interest in writing and would love to make a career in it, this course is for you. It is also for those who are writers and want to shift to business writing or need a professional qualification in the field.
4. Course Name: Diploma in Environmental Science
Where: Alison (created by The Open University)
Description: This course will help you understand the earth, its resources and its system; identify the factors that affect our environment and distinguish between renewable and non-renewable energy sources; and how to manage them.
Who can take it: This course is perfect for those working in the area of environmental science, for students who have studied environmental science, or for those who are interested in learning how to build a sustainable existence on this planet.
5. Course Name: Machine Learning
Where: Coursera (created by Stanford University)
Cost: Free with paid certificate (around S$80)
Description: This course will teach you the most effective machine learning techniques, and how to implement them. You’ll learn about some of Silicon Valley’s best practices in machine learning and AI.
Who can take it: This course will benefit beginners and those who want to switch their careers to machine learning.
6. Course Name: Sales Strategies: Mastering the Selling Process
Where: Coursera (created by The University of Chicago)
Description: According to Coursera, through this course, “you will learn how to acquire and delight customers, use selling skills in different contexts, tell powerful stories, manage the entrepreneurial selling process, and use the key tools required for success in building your company, your career and your life.”
Who can take it: The course is best suited for beginners, sales professionals and entrepreneurs.
Unpaid course option: Sales Techniques – Using Competitive Sales Strategies by Alison
7. Course Name: Photography Masterclass: Your Complete Guide to Photography
Description: You will learn how to photograph in different objects and landscapes, edit photos professionally, and earn money by selling your photos.
Who can take it: The course is ideal for amateur photographers, photo editors and anyone who is interested in taking better photos. It is also perfect for those wanting to explore their hobby of photography as a career switch.
Unpaid course option: Your Road to Better Photography by Udemy
8. Course Name: Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management
Description: This course will teach you principles, concepts and skills required in the tourism and hospitality sectors.
Who can take it: This course is suited for anyone who wants to make a career in hospitality and tourism and for those who want to sharpen their skills. With Singapore drawing in tourists in hordes, opportunities with this course are only likely to grow in the next few years.
Tips to select the best online course:
- Ensure you have time on your calendar to complete a course.
- Make sure you check a few university websites before zeroing down the course that’s right for you.
- When you are paying for the course, don’t forget to use your HSBC Revolution card or DBS Woman’s Card as they are best cards to use to pay for these.
- You can also check out courses on SkillsFuture, a national movement to upskill, sponsors for Singaporeans across sectors here. According to the official website, ‘All Singaporeans aged 25 and above will receive an opening credit of S$500 from January 2016. Your credit will not expire and the government will provide periodic top-ups, so you may accumulate your credit.’
- SkillsFuture can also subsidize or pay in full a course of your selection.